Whether you want to celebrate the holidays or simply make your house more cozy for winter, try these do-it-yourself decorating ideas. They use recycled or repurposed materials, which is like a gift for your home and the planet.
1. Wreath makeover: Instead of buying a new one, give a tired old wreath a frosty winter look with some glitter spray (pictured above).
If you collect old wine corks, put them together in a holiday wreath. (Photo: iLoveToCreate)
2. Cork wreaths: If you keep wine corks, use them to create a festive holiday wreath.
Paint wine bottles with chalkboard paint and write a festive message with chalk. (Photo: The Artful Crafter)
3. Painted bottles: Take a few old wine bottles and paint them with chalkboard paint. Then use white chalk to draw on festive designs or messages.
4. Instant fireplace: No fireplace? No problem! Use more of that chalkboard paint and chalk to create a faux fireplace on a wall or canvas. Add an old curtain rod and twine, and you can even make a mantel to go above it.
Coffee filters, scissors, glue, and other supplies are needed to make this pretty tree. (Photo: Crafts by Amanda)
5. Paper tree: Use paper coffee filters to create a brew-tiful Christmas tree that's perfect for coffee lovers.
6. Dreidel garland: Decorate for Hanukkah by creating lots of paper dreidels out of card stock paper and stringing them together.
7. Cozy candles: Make small vases or candles in a jar more festive by wrapping them up. Cut the sleeves off a worn-out sweater and slide them over a vase or jar. Or grab some twine and ribbon and wind them around (pictured above) for a more rustic touch.
8. Tree of jars: Fill several Mason jars with festive items, then stack them in a pyramid to form a tree shape. You can even drape lights on it.
Top Image Credit: stocknshares/iStock